Integrative medicine involves those therapies typically viewed as “alternative”. At LEqMC this involves acupuncture, chiropractic, and laser therapy. Practitioners at LEqMC who are involved in these therapies strive to integrate each of these with traditional western therapies. We are constantly striving to find the combination of therapies that is most effective for each case, and as such, find it very beneficial to offer these therapies side by side with traditional treatments tailored to your horse’s unique situation.
- Acupuncture has been performed for thousands of years.
- Acupuncture is the placement of needles at specific points throughout the body. Needle placement in these areas stimulates your horse’s body in a number of ways. Pain is relieved locally as well as systemically, inflammation is decreased and nerves are stimulated.
- Acupuncture is used successfully for a large number of conditions including sore backs and necks, lameness, neuropathies (peripheral nerve paralysis), gastrointestinal motility disorders (including ileus and chronic mild colic) and reproductive disorders (including fluid retention and endometritis).
- All doctors who perform acupuncture at LEqMC are certified in Veterinary Medical Acupuncture.
- Chiropractic is a field that focuses on the musculo-skeletal and nervous systems with a particular emphasis on maintaining health and wellness before the body progresses to a state of disease. Joints that don’t move properly within the body, particularly the spine, can lead to pain and inflammation within and around nerves and the inability for those nerves to signal properly. This can manifest in your horse as unwillingness to go forward, poor performance, pinning of the ears, tail swishing, stiffness in the poll or neck, abnormal gait, shortened stride or a number of other symptoms.
- A chiropractic adjustment addresses restrictions within the range of motion of vertebrae and joints by evaluating the movement one segment at a time. The adjustment performed is a very specific and accurate maneuver performed with a precise knowledge of the horse’s anatomy.
- Every veterinarian who performs chiropractic at LEqMC has undergone extensive supplemental training, and is certified by the International Veterinary Chiropractic Association.
- Laser Therapy is beneficial for a number of different conditions and situations. There is considerable research showing that laser therapy is beneficial for wound healing. Additionally, laser therapy is used frequently in conjunction with chiropractic and acupuncture to relieve tension and pain in specific areas.
- LEqMC has a super pulsed laser that allows deep tissue penetration with high energy levels, but only for short periods of time. This avoids tissue heating and the potential for over-stimulation by the laser. Laser therapy can be performed by your veterinarian at the clinic or on the farm. We also have a smaller unit that can be rented weekly for specific cases.
- As with all of our services, please feel free to contact the clinic to speak with a doctor about any questions you might have regarding these therapies.